We have all been there. The toilet gets clogged. The water isn't coming out due to a blockage. Or the very worst situation - a pipe bursts and you suddenly have water everywhere. Being aware of what to look for and how to quickly make your situation better is key to a speedy plumbing solution!
The Top 4 Most Common Plumbing Emergencies
There are several plumbing emergencies that are among the most relevant for homeowners and business owners alike. The following are four of the top plumbing issues and how you can take action. These issues all require rapid response and a plumber should be contacted immediately.
- A pipe burst. When this happens, damage can occur quickly to your home or business. Not only does water damage the structure itself, but can cause significant monetary damage to furniture, goods, or products. If a main pipe burst can even lead to damage to neighboring residences or commercial properties.
- An overflowing toilet. This can be a nightmare, especially in a large commercial business such as a shopping center or a restaurant. Overflowing toilets can cause damage to flooring, cabinetry, and other structures in the bathrooms. Furthermore, overflowing toilets pose a health risk due to waste that backs up and can require specialized cleanup.
- Wall and/or floor leaks. Any noticeable wall or floor leaks should be brought to professional attention immediately! The longer wall/floor leaks are let go the more damage they do.
- Blocked water pipe. When your water supply suddenly becomes cut off, whether in a sink, tub, toilet, etc. there is an indication of a blockage somewhere in the pipe system. A plumber would be able to locate the blockage, remove it, and restore your water supply.
Most plumbing issues in your home or business, like the ones listed above, are in need of serious and immediate professional services. When plumbing goes bad, your entire structure can be affected negatively. The longer plumbing issues sit, the worse off your damages are in the end!
How to prepare for your plumber in an emergency.
Now that you have figured out the potential problem, here are some top tips to get you the help you need.
- Immediately locate the water valve and shut the water off. There are valves that control all of the water to your home, specific valves placed on toilets and sinks, and water valves on your water heater. Depending on the location of your problem, you will need to shut off the supply of water the affected area. Plumbing work cannot begin until the water is shut off!
- Check your water heater in major situations and emergencies pertaining to plumbing, you will want to shut off your water heater to prevent any damage to the unit. Make sure to shut off the gas portion of the unit prior to the water.
- Tackle small, visible leaks. Stop any leaks as quickly and securely as possible to prevent further damage.
- Open drains and spigots to clear any water from the pipes.
- Call a reputable and licensed plumber. Listen to the instructions given and wait for to arrive and remedy the situation further.
Plumbing situations can be dire, and it is important to have a local, trustworthy plumbing company that can provide you with 24/7 services. Check into your local plumbers today and make sure you have a plan in place should you have a plumbing emergency in your future.
Comment on this post.
We want to hear your opinion, let us know what you think!
Thanks for your comment!
Thanks for your feedback! Your comments have been successfully submitted! Please note, all comments require admin approval prior to display.
Error submitting comment!
There is a problem with your comment, please see below.